Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Racing motorcycles is safe... (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=19955)

azoomm 08-19-2011 05:32 PM

Racing motorcycles is safe...

Well, compared to living in Japan.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sp...-1226116434951

Seven-time MotoGP world champion Valentino Rossi has maintained his objection to the Japanese Grand Prix in Motegi on October 2 over nuclear health concerns.

Concerns around nuclear exposure have circulated since the nuclear power plant at Fukushima was damaged in the Japanese earthquake and tsunami in March.

Australian Casey Stoner had said he would not attend the race but has apparently softened his decision, while reigning champion Jorge Lorenzo has been largely silent since initially indicating his reluctance to go.

Many consider Rossi to be the ringleader of rider protest surrounding the event, and the Italian has maintained his strong objection to the race going ahead.

"I really don't think I'll go to Japan," Rossi told the BBC.

"I was hoping the [MotoGP] championship organisers would make the right decision, but that hasn't been the case and now we've got a serious problem."

Rossi has reportedly suggested a return to Suzuka as a possible alternative to the Motegi circuit, which is just 100kms from the damaged nuclear reactor at Fukushima.

Suzuka is further south but would require significant safety upgrades to reach modern MotoGP standards.

While his world titles came with Japanese manufacturers Honda and Yamaha, Rossi now rides for Italian marque Ducati.

Trip 08-19-2011 05:40 PM

what a bunch of douchers...they would be safe and unaffected...

Hydrant 08-19-2011 06:20 PM

As he gives the interview with a phone in hand, warming up something on the microwave, all while cruising at an altitude of 35,000 ft.

Sounds like he's been listening to glorified news media instead of the facts. How radiating.

Dave 08-19-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 486364)

Yup total dickbag

Porkchop 08-19-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 486364)

Really? I thought the Japanese media was hiding how bad it was. :idk:

Trip 08-19-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 486369)

The amount of radiation at the track is negligible. It wouldn't cause any damage to them. They wouldn't have to worry about food, because they are pampered stars that would get shit shipped in.

They can pay me half his salary and I will go race for him and eat the native food.

Tmall 08-19-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 486370)
The amount of radiation at the track is negligible. It wouldn't cause any damage to them. They wouldn't have to worry about food, because they are pampered stars that would get shit shipped in.

They can pay me half his salary and I will go race for him and eat the native food.

I haven't been following it. What is the state of the reactor now? Is there any chance it could worsen?

Trip 08-19-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 486373)
I haven't been following it. What is the state of the reactor now? Is there any chance it could worsen?

They got it safe and are still working on getting it in cold shutdown.

shmike 08-19-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkchop (Post 486369)

They are.

I've read reports that it's worse than Chernobyl at a greater distance.

KSGregman 08-19-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 486374)
They got it safe and are still working on getting it in cold shutdown.

That's comforting....I guess.

What about the ultra long half life shit that has already contaminated the local area?