Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   News Desk (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Deadly floor mats?! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=10523)

Papa_Complex 09-17-2009 07:38 AM

Deadly floor mats?!

Toyota orders floor mat checks after fatal crash
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 | 4:12 PM ET Comments20Recommend35
CBC News

Toyota has ordered its dealers to inspect their cars after a floor mat was suspected of snaring the accelerator pedal of a Lexus that crashed in California, killing four people.

California Highway Patrol officer Mark Saylor, his wife Cleofe, their 13-year-old daughter and an in-law died Aug. 28 when a Lexus ES 350 loaned by a local dealer crashed in San Diego County.

A preliminary investigation found that their loaner car had a floor mat from another Lexus model that may have caused the accelerator to get stuck.

Witnesses said the car was doing more than 190 km/h when it went off an embankment and burst into flames. The family's screams were heard in a 911 call.

During the 50-second call, passenger Chris Lastrella told the police dispatcher that the accelerator was stuck.

Toyota Motor Sales USA said dealers must make sure all Lexus and Toyota vehicles have the proper mats.

Investigators from the U.S. National Highway Safety Transportation Administration were also examining the wrecked vehicle because of a 2007 recall involving after-market "all-weather" floor mats, which could slip and snag on the gas pedal, agency spokesman Ray Tyson said.

I just heard an audio recording of the call. During the nescast they mentioned that a CHP officer was the driver. In the course of 50 seconds, shouldn't a CHP officer have the presence of mind to turn the ignition off?

marko138 09-17-2009 07:40 AM

Wild, right?

Tmall 09-17-2009 07:40 AM

Applying the brakes would have been his best bet.

I'm yet to see a car that can overcome its brakes...

marko138 09-17-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 266937)

Yeah, I'd say there's a couple of problems with his approach. Too bad.

Papa_Complex 09-17-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tmall (Post 266937)

With one pedal already stuck, I'd be reaching for the key. At least that's what I was always told to do.

karl_1052 09-17-2009 09:20 AM

Neutral.
Brake.
Handbrake
run it agains the barrier to slow it down

WTF?

marko138 09-17-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karl_1052 (Post 267001)
Neutral.
Brake.
Handbrake
run it agains the barrier to slow it down

WTF?

Sorta reminds me of that time some broad was "locked" inside her car and didn't realize if you hit the unlock gimmick the door would open.

pauldun170 09-17-2009 09:34 AM

Dumbass...

toss it in neutral
Apply brakes, turn on hazards...pull over to the side.
shut down engine

Kaneman 09-17-2009 12:44 PM

Maybe it was intentional?

goof2 09-17-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_Complex (Post 266990)
With one pedal already stuck, I'd be reaching for the key. At least that's what I was always told to do.

I have heard different things. The issues with turning the key off is you lose power steering, power brakes, and depending on how far you turn the key the steering lock can engage. The best bet in my mind, and has already been mentioned, is put it in neutral. You may blow up the motor, but it beats the alternative.