Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Drz uh oh (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15732)

Trip 07-24-2010 03:07 PM

Drz uh oh

Well I went in the garage today and noticed a small puddle of oil underneath the drz. I would say about 100cc's total lost including residue on the bike. It came from the airbox through the filter. I laid it down once last time I rode it and didn't notice anything wrong with the engine. It was extremely hot that day, probably 100 or so. I drained the oil and there couldn't of been that much lost total. It was still pretty full. Coolant was still full as well.

Anyone have idea where I should start checking.

Mr Lefty 07-24-2010 03:11 PM

I have heard of oil coming out through the air box is the bike was laid over... but it wasn't on the DRZ specifically... and I would imagine... for that much oil... it'd need to be laid over for a decent length of time.. :idk:

Trip 07-24-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eBBs15 (Post 395768)
I have heard of oil coming out through the air box is the bike was laid over... but it wasn't on the DRZ specifically... and I would imagine... for that much oil... it'd need to be laid over for a decent length of time.. :idk:

It was only a few seconds but it was almost upside down lol. This was pretty early in the ride too. So I rode it for an hour or two after.

No oil on my trailer from the two hours it spent on there on the way home and stopping to get pizza either.

Mr Lefty 07-24-2010 03:20 PM

hum... no idea then... could have been saturated the filter... and taken a while to drip down...

I know the first time I used the red spray oil for my DRZ I saturated it... like it said... next morining I had red oil all over under my bike... apparently i saturated it TOO much... but it took almost 24hrs for the oil to drip down and escape the airbox... (then again this was much thicker oil than motor oil) :idk:

Trip 07-24-2010 04:52 PM

I use no toil for my filter. It's red. This wasn't no toil. I was definitely low on oil too. Checked the dip stick.

Mr Lefty 07-24-2010 05:24 PM

no I just meant that it takes a while for the oil to drip from the filter... if motoroil backed up through the intake and saturated the filter... it'd take a while for it (the motor oil) would drip down and leak out the bottom of the air box.

just used my air filter oil experience as an example.

Smokers can collect oil in the intake, because of a condition known as standoff (reversion) which is common with smokers...but I just looked it up, and a "DRZ" (I'm presuming it's a DRZ400) is a thumper, so it really shouldn't have that much standoff UNLESS you have a cam with a shitload of overlap.

goof2 07-24-2010 06:44 PM

Is there a crankcase vent hose that feeds in to the airbox? If it does then oil may have been pushed in to that hose when the bike was on its side forcing it in to the airbox.

marko138 07-24-2010 11:28 PM

Is your DRZ made by Harley Davidson AMF. C'mon SON!

No Worries 07-25-2010 01:37 PM

Almost every modern engine, even mine, has a tube from the top of the engine to the airbox. This collects blowby and reburns it. When your bike was on it's side, oil got in there and went into the airbox and is now leaking out. My CBR has a hose at the bottom of the airbox to collect it.