Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Northeast Riders (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   test ride the Can-Am Spyder (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=1761)

itgirl 06-18-2008 03:50 PM

test ride the Can-Am Spyder

here's the dates for demo rides of the Can-Am Spyder in PA and other areas (you gotta enter your zip code). there's quite a few dealerships listed. i'm gonna sign up. i'm interested in seeing how these things handle.

Can-Am Spyder demos

Dnyce 06-18-2008 03:57 PM

sweet-im gonna get in on the fun

rider76 06-18-2008 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I saw one of these at a dealership about a month ago..... those things make a B King sexy......

jalaan1 06-18-2008 05:18 PM

wouldn't mind demoing one.
thanks.

Gas Man 06-18-2008 11:55 PM

I think it would amusing to test ride these homo things!

nhgunnut 06-19-2008 07:24 AM

Rode one at a local dealer before heading up to Laconia. First they are very quick off of the line. The engine and the gearbox are sweet. My wife and Myself (and most bikers according to the factory rep) found them very counter intuitive. We kept trying to put our foot down at the lights and lean into the corers. The lack of a front brake (it is a linked system that activates off of the foot pedal (traditional rear break location) Also for you folks thinking about stunting it think again. All three wheels have sensors that allow only minimal speed differences between the wheels, so there is no snapping dough nuts no J-Burns (it will let you spin the rear tire in a strait line) The steering (and it is steered not ridden) was difficult for us to get used to. The machine goes very easily where you tell it to but is VERY responsive to the point of being twitchy. It corners fast and flat, it sticks to the road well enough that the joke at the dealership was they are going to have to make a velcro seat so you don't fall off
In some way it reminding me of driving a old Lotus 7. I have to confess not enough though. Not quite a bike not quite a sports car. Fun but for us not $16000 worth of fun. I am sure that it will find a market with folks who like ridding out in the open but are tentative about 2 wheels.

NeonspeedRT 06-19-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 51701)
We kept trying to put our foot down at the lights and lean into the corers. The lack of a front brake (it is a linked system that activates off of the foot pedal (traditional rear break location)

The steering (and it is steered not ridden) was difficult for us to get used to. The machine goes very easily where you tell it to but is VERY responsive to the point of being twitchy. It corners fast and flat, it sticks to the road well enough that the joke at the dealership was they are going to have to make a velcro seat so you don't fall off

Your review is spot on. One thing I will say. If anyone does a demo ride. Once you are done, ride it again. Everyone, including the dealers, say it's so wierd for a normal motorcyclist to get used to, it takes two or more rides to get familliar with how it handles and turns.

One of our local Can Am dealerships did a demo day several months back. I got to go for a 45 minute ride on one. Honestly I wasn't impressed with it at all. It turns and rides more like a 4 wheeler then a motorcycle. You actually turn the handlebars to turn instead of leaning. That will freak you out the first time you go into a corner. Espically if there is oncoming traffic.

Wind protection is almost non existant. Allthough i've heard Can Am will have a touring windscreen. My right foot was baking with heat from the exhaust. They were also supposed to be doing something to fix that as well for the production models.

It is definatly very twitchy when it comes to steering. It has power assisted steering, so thats one of the reasons why. The engineers at the event said they were planning on change something with the steering so it wasn't as twitchy before the production run.

Otherwise it was allright. I wouldn't own one for the money though. Maybe if it was $7000 and got great gas mileage. Then i'd think about it. Otherwise i'll pass.

neebelung 06-19-2008 09:15 AM

I hated the damned thing. :panic: I wouldn't ride one if it was given to me for free.

itgirl 06-19-2008 09:42 AM

i'm all signed up for wed. the 25th! can't wait. should be an experience.

nhgunnut 06-19-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itgirl (Post 51717)
i'm all signed up for wed. the 25th! can't wait. should be an experience.

I can't wait to see your review Itgirl. I will sign up for a test ride on most anything. (how do oyu know if you like it if you have ridden it?)