Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Track (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Buying a track bike (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15481)

CrazyKell 07-05-2010 01:19 PM

Buying a track bike

I know what I'm looking for but am just curious what others set about looking for when they're buying a track bike.

I want to stick with the same bike I have now for a couple of reasons, but ultimately it's going to come down to price and goodies.

What would you go for?

R6?
GSXR?
Kawi?
CBR?

derf 07-05-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyKell (Post 390258)
I know what I'm looking for but am just curious what others set about looking for when they're buying a track bike.

I want to stick with the same bike I have now for a couple of reasons, but ultimately it's going to come down to price and goodies.

What would you go for?

R6?
GSXR?
Kawi?
CBR?

GSXR (and to a lesser extent the CBR) seem to be the most common track bikes (at least around here), track parts are plentiful if you break a lever or need to look at someone elses bike to get yours running right. Really though any of the four you mentioned are gonna be at any track day with at least one model from each model year

CrazyKell 07-05-2010 01:28 PM

I've been leaning towards the GSXR just for the part reason alone.

But then, I just love my Kawi and love the feel.

Homeslice 07-05-2010 01:32 PM

Popularity makes no difference.........ALL of those bikes have tons of readily available parts, including yours, so why get something different? If you are already comfortable with 636's, get another. Especially when there are only so many track day opportunities a year........Why waste them getting comfortable on a totally different bike.

Oh and WERA board ftw.

tommymac 07-05-2010 01:39 PM

I have a 2000 gsxr 750 I am looking to get rid of if youre interested.

CrazyKell 07-05-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommymac (Post 390271)
I have a 2000 gsxr 750 I am looking to get rid of if youre interested.

Thanks but no thanks. Only looking for a 600 and want 2004 or later.

Ideally I want my bike, but I know it may not happen.

The other idea I'm toying with is turning mine into track only and buying a cruiser for the streets. I'd just prefer to buy something with the goodies already attached.

RACER X 07-05-2010 05:55 PM

You can buy great SV track bikes for $2kish

gavilan 07-05-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACER X (Post 390379)
You can buy great SV track bikes for $2kish

But an SV would be so very different from Kell's bike. I recently sold my Kawi and I, too, "loved the feel".

I hadn't thought of buying the same bike for track... kinda cool idea.

Full Throttle 07-05-2010 07:05 PM

Yea i think you should go for the same bike if possible. But if you have to pick one of the other top brands i would go YAMAHA lol. I know im being Biased but ive ridden an 06 GSXR and an 07 CBR and i didnt really like either. Im sure i would of gotten more comfortable with it but it just didnt seem to even be in the same class as my R6. Ive never ridden a KAWI so i cant vouch for it but in my opinion the YAMAHA is in another league when it comes to truly being race ready.

racedoll 07-05-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavilan (Post 390384)
I hadn't thought of buying the same bike for track... kinda cool idea.

I'd go for the same bike as I have now, if I could find one for reasonable price.

For Kelly's question, I really don't think you could go wrong. Hubby likes the GSXRs but any would be good.