Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Mechanical or Tech (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cleaning the chain (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=971)

Quick281 04-08-2008 02:22 AM

Cleaning the chain

After reading the other thread, I figured I would try some Motorex Chain Clean, other than that what will I need? I assume some kind of brush to clean it with and then some brand of lube to put on it after I am done cleaning it. Will the Suzuki stuff work? I am ordering a couple OEM parts and at this point it wouldn't be a big deal to have them throw some in.

From the other thread I gathered that it would be a good idea to clean, then dry and lube the chain once the bike is parked so that it has the opportunity to sit overnight.

EDIT: Anyone wanna throw a "n" in my title?

ceo012384 04-08-2008 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick281 (Post 29196)
After reading the other thread, I figured I would try some Motorex Chain Clean, other than that what will I need? I assume some kind of brush to clean it with and then some brand of lube to put on it after I am done cleaning it. Will the Suzuki stuff work? I am ordering a couple OEM parts and at this point it wouldn't be a big deal to have them throw some in.

From the other thread I gathered that it would be a good idea to clean, then dry and lube the chain once the bike is parked so that it has the opportunity to sit overnight.

EDIT: Anyone wanna throw a "n" in my title?

Grab "the grunge brush". Works well.

Also, motorex makes a kit that has chain cleaner, chain lube, a rag, and a mini can of chain lube for your cowl. It's what I use. Good stuff.

And you don't need to let it sit overnight.

marko138 04-08-2008 08:18 AM

I use the grunge brush and WD40 to clean my chain. Some might tell you that WD40 is no good. They are lying. Clean the chain then go for a little ride to get the chain warm. Then you lube and let it sit over night. This assures that you don't fling the lube off the chain and all over your bike.

azoomm 04-08-2008 09:09 AM

With the chain clean, I use a grunge brush, but I don't think you NEED one. Just a few towels.

marko138 04-08-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoomm (Post 29302)
With the chain clean, I use a grunge brush, but I don't think you NEED one. Just a few towels.

I used a toothbrush before I got the grungie.

azoomm 04-08-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 29305)
I used a toothbrush before I got the grungie.

Me too...

1hottbikechic 04-08-2008 01:08 PM

Same thing everyone else is saying, seems we all use the same thing, I recommend the grunge brush!

Quick281 04-08-2008 02:59 PM

Well looks like this is another case closed for the noobie at work. :dthumb:

ceo012384 04-10-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko138 (Post 29275)
I use the grunge brush and WD40 to clean my chain. Some might tell you that WD40 is no good. They are lying.

I've read that WD40 is not great for your orings.

Be safe and use a chain cleaner or kerosene.

I'm getting my new tires mounted on sunday and am planning to soak the chain in kerosene and clean the shit out of it and my sprockets.

marko138 04-11-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceo012384 (Post 30613)
I've read that WD40 is not great for your orings.

Be safe and use a chain cleaner or kerosene.

I'm getting my new tires mounted on sunday and am planning to soak the chain in kerosene and clean the shit out of it and my sprockets.

Thats a lie. Directly from WD40...they say it WILL NOT harm o-ring. I've used it for years with zero issue.