Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to give a cat oral medication easier?? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12346)

skiergirl 12-22-2009 01:27 PM

How to give a cat oral medication easier??

So my cat had some teeth pulled yesterday and needless to say is not to happy at the moment. She's very easy going but enough is enough and she was fighting pretty good when we gave her the meds this morning

so cat people - is there a good trick to use? She doesn't really claw much so a blanket isn't really needed but we might try that tonight. She has one of those cone things around her neck/head so she can't bump her mouth or scratch. I've been just grabbing her but the scruff of her neck to hold her still while Tye opens her mouth. I just feel bad having to touch her mouth at all to open it and get that syringe thing in there. Is there a trick I'm missing? Some way to hold her more still so her head doesn't thrash around as much?

And no, shooting her, or otherwise getting rid of the cat is not an option -

Particle Man 12-22-2009 01:31 PM

Cats take pills and medicine in such a way as to create as much drama as freakin' possible. We had to give our cat tapeworm medicine once and you'd think we were killing her she spazzed out so badly.

skiergirl 12-22-2009 01:33 PM

She has always been super tolerant but I think she's just hurting so much she's had enough. I just don't want to cause her more pain giving her pain meds....

HurricaneHeather 12-22-2009 01:33 PM

God, Lori this sounds aweful. :(

What we do is one of sits on the floor and drop their body in between our legs and kind of hold them that way. The use both hands to kinda cup their neck(almost like you are going to strangle them, I know it sounds aweful) but you need two hands around their head to keep them there. Then the other person obviously opens the mouth and administers the meds.

BUT, we have never had to do this to a cat who just had 9 teeth removed, so I don't know if that really helps or not. :(

marko138 12-22-2009 01:33 PM

I cannot offer any advice, but I did have to give my dog pills for 12 days. Being a Lab he thought it was just another treat and gobbled them down.

skiergirl 12-22-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather (Post 309181)
God, Lori this sounds aweful. :(

What we do is one of sits on the floor and drop their body in between our legs and kind of hold them that way. The use both hands to kinda cup their neck(almost like you are going to strangle them, I know it sounds aweful) but you need two hands around their head to keep them there. Then the other person obviously opens the mouth and administers the meds.

BUT, we have never had to do this to a cat who just had 9 teeth removed, so I don't know if that really helps or not. :(

This is pretty much what we have been doing but even when you get her mouth open she can still twist her head so right as you start to squirt it in she twists and it ends up on her nose or something. it's enough that I hesitate to just shoot it all in quickly in case she chokes a bit but I'm hoping as a day or two goes she might be better about it...

RACER X 12-22-2009 01:38 PM

i know we would wrap our dogs medicine in cheese, i think w/ the cat we just held it's mouth open and dropped in the pill.

Grab cat by the head from behind with your left hand. Grasping head firmly from behind, wrap your thumb into the left side of cat"s mouth between backmost molars, and middle finger wrapped around to same position between molars on your right (cat's left molars). Push the flesh in the corners of the mouth gently inwards between the molars so that the animal cannot bite down onto your fingers. Tilt head up slightly, and press pill into backmost part of tongue, far enough back that a gag won't eject it. Close mouth, tilt head up, and rub throat to encourage peristalsis (swallowing action) .

Done correctly, this can be a 3 second event, and the cat has little time to protest.

acalliste 12-22-2009 01:45 PM

Is it liquid? I had good luck with sticking the dropper into the side of her mouth and squirting it down her throat as quickly as possible, and then hold her for a minute and keep her head up and mouth closed to make sure it doesn't come back out.

wildchild 12-22-2009 01:53 PM

we are doing this right now with a toy poodle who just had some teeth removed. we squirt the med on soft food and mix well. she is reluctant to eat it at first but she gives in after a minute or two. at least we aren't having to force it on her. it's no fun to think you are causing more pain to them.