Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Teaching newbies to ride. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14375)

Teaching newbies to ride.

My GF doesn't know how to ride. She's a spaz (totally). How do I keep her from defaulting to the dreaded "lock up, and careen into nearest object" mode?

I've told her what to do, and I've shown her. Somehow, deep in my heart I know this isn't enough.

I have a little 100cc dirt bike for her to learn on (perfect), but she is hitherto completely uninitiated in the use of a clutch, on any vehicle.

What suggestions can you folks offer me? What's worked for you guys in the past, when teaching others?

I hate spending the day in the emergency room. Should I just not attempt this? Are some just not meant to ride?

:lmao:

Rider 04-21-2010 12:13 PM

Sign her up for the MSF. My wife never rode anything on 2 wheels and she wanted to ride my 08 GSXR750. I told her to take the MSF. She did and I let her ride my bike with no problems.

azoomm 04-21-2010 12:18 PM

Msf

julie j 04-21-2010 12:22 PM

MSF for sure. Sometimes it is easier to learn from someone who is not your BF/spouse. It will be less stressful for both of you.

Krabill 04-21-2010 12:36 PM

Take that little dirt bike you've got to the biggest empty field you can find and start her out well away from your truck and pointed the opposite direction :lol:

wildchild 04-21-2010 12:37 PM

first step is sitting on the bike not running. make her "apply" the brakes and roll off the throttle. people almost always want to roll on the throttle as they go for the brake when beginning.
then on the little dirtbike like that I would take her in the yard or trail and do the clutch out and clutch in thing. let it out to get the bike going then pull it back in after ten feet or so. make her apply the brakes smoothly while pulling the clutch.
once she gets used to stopping like that you can let her start some slow laps. all first gear. if she grabs the brakes in the turn she'll go down but it'll be slow speed.

oh yeah, MSF as a required response.

wildchild 04-21-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krabill (Post 364291)
well away from your truck and pointed the opposite direction :lol:

this is very true. my kid almost nailed my truck when he did his first 12 o'clock wheelie on his way back to the truck(with a dirtbike). he brought it down just in time to stop.

askmrjesus 04-21-2010 12:41 PM

Toss her the keys, and tell her to aim for the trees.

Women don't listen, so she'll be just fine.

JC

ontwo 04-21-2010 12:42 PM

msf. It is hard for people to teach loved ones anything. She will do much better if you send her to the class. And don't hang around to watch

OTB 04-21-2010 12:47 PM

If'n you want a certain way to find yourself sleeping on the sofa; (or on the sofa in the garage), just try teaching someone you care for to ride.

Guaranteed silent treatment, ugly stares and tears.....

MSF, all the way.....

...unless you like the sofa and eating alone....