Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Street (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bike advice needed! (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=3121)

smileyman 11-05-2008 10:28 AM

Bike advice needed!

OK we talk alot of smack but this is serious. How long is a chain suppose to last? I am terrible about keeping it oiled and last night as i pull in, I shut the bike off and push it into the garage listening to a crazy bad noise. I gave it a quick visual and nothing seemed wrong but the marbles in a soup can sound wouldn't go away. It hadn't rode any differently?:idk:

I pull the rear tire and check the wheel bearings, fine, the sprocket carrier bearings, fine, sprocket is worn but I have seen worse. Pulled the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket seems ok, no slack in it at all and it spins freely and quietly so I guess the tranny output shaft bearing and tranny itself are ok. That leaves only the chain which was to hot to touch and had a noticeable stiff length (no joking around here guys) in it.

I think I have 10,000 miles on the thing as I replaced the OEM one when I had the 14000 mile service done and I am at 24,000 miles now...

Shed some light will ya:idk:

NONE_too_SOFT 11-05-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyman (Post 85863)
OK we talk alot of smack but this is serious. How long is a chain suppose to last? I am terrible about keeping it oiled and last night as i pull in, I shut the bike off and push it into the garage listening to a crazy bad noise. I gave it a quick visual and nothing seemed wrong but the marbles in a soup can sound wouldn't go away. It hadn't rode any differently?:idk:

I pull the rear tire and check the wheel bearings, fine, the sprocket carrier bearings, fine, sprocket is worn but I have seen worse. Pulled the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket seems ok, no slack in it at all and it spins freely and quietly so I guess the tranny output shaft bearing and tranny itself are ok. That leaves only the chain which was to hot to touch and had a noticeable stiff length (no joking around here guys) in it.

I think I have 10,000 miles on the thing as I replaced the OEM one when I had the 14000 mile service done and I am at 24,000 miles now...

Shed some light will ya:idk:

With proper maintenance they should last 10k no problem. as far as the noise goes try and describe it better.

marko138 11-05-2008 10:35 AM

How hard do you ride it? It could easily be worn out by now? But...possibly the chain is in need of adjustment?

PhiSig1071 11-05-2008 10:55 AM

If you haven't kept it oiled then it's probably sticking. Try cleaning and oiling the chain and see if that helps. 10k miles is within the normal life-span of a properly maintained chain, but if you haven't done proper maintainence then that one may be toast.

smileyman 11-05-2008 11:46 AM

Well I don't lube it as often as I should or at least as recommened...Probably supposed to every 5-600 miles right...Well between washes, rains storms, ect I supppose it gets it every 1000 to 1200 miles...I have noticed it was not staying well adjusted too. I had recently tightened it and adjusted it 2-3 times cause I couldn't get it just right...That was when I decided the rear sprocket had to be replaced.

The noise sounded like a bearing gone bad. Kind of a marbly grinding noise...The first thing I thought was that the chain had loosened up and was hitting the front cover, upon seeing that is was still tight I thought immediately wheel bearing, but all the bearings appear fine. I didn't get around to reassembling it but will certainly soak the chain and see if it loosens up..

BobTheBiker 11-05-2008 12:07 PM

your chain was hot to the touch? sounds like your chain is fucked. replace, and LUBE IT REGULARLY SLACKER!

smileyman 11-05-2008 12:25 PM

Yeah I am shopping even now...

azoomm 11-05-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheBiker (Post 85879)
your chain was hot to the touch? sounds like your chain is fucked. replace, and LUBE IT REGULARLY SLACKER!

That's what I was thinking. Make sure your sprockets are in good order, as when changing a chain it's the perfect time to change those as well.

I saw you typed *marbles in a soup can* and needed to double check if you had a dry clutch or not :lol:

smileyman 11-05-2008 01:20 PM

Lordy no, had I been on a dry clutch Duc i woulda never known, TeeHee! (jealous laughter)

BobTheBiker 11-05-2008 01:46 PM

Well, my simple summary for you is this. when you hear a noise like you're hearing, your chain gets HOT to the touch, and has tight spots, its fucked. there is no fix besides a new chain. this is why you MUST keep up with the maintenance stuff and lube your chain more often than not. Alternately, run an RK 530. I run one on my Hurricane, and it gets merciless abuse, barely see any stretching, and so far I've never had to adjust it since I installed.