Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Touring (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   SV on its way to touring/commuter mode (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=3416)

SteveP 11-13-2008 01:25 AM

SV on its way to touring/commuter mode *Update*

I've been commuting on my SV for the last 3 years and finally started to make some modifications to improve the ride.

First on the agenda.

Givi A760 windscreen.

Pros - takes the wind off your chest on the interstate. I don't feel like I'm doing a constant pull up anymore.

Cons - a little bit of wind buffeting and extra noise. I wear ear plugs anyway so it's a non-issue for me.

The goods out weigh the bads.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...X/IMG_0546.jpg

My next mod is on order and I am anxiously waiting for its arrival! I have a SW Mototech detachable rack with a set of Givi E21 hard bags in route. The rack is coming in from Germany so I have to wait about 2 months :td: Hopefully these will add the MUCH needed storage for my daily commute. I've been using a set of Givi soft bags for the last 2 years. While they are good bags, I am ready for something more! I'll post up a few pics when they get in and are installed. :rockwoot:

Cutty72 11-13-2008 04:37 AM

V twin FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Lefty 11-13-2008 06:33 AM

well I'm definatly not a fan of the looks... but hey more power to ya! intresting make'n it into a tourer... you gonna look into lower fairings? something to take the wind off your legs :idk:

unknownroad 11-13-2008 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Huh, so that's what one of those looks like when it's clean! :idk:

The E21s are a great choice. I've got over 30k on my SV as a commuter/tourer and have driven it across the country, and no other mod has given me nearly as much utility for the money. Plus, they make a great cooler :dthumb:

Mr Lefty 11-13-2008 04:05 PM

what do you guys get for range and milage when go'n cross country on those?

speedylocksmith 11-13-2008 04:24 PM

no windscreen on long distances would suck. On a side note............that weather sucks!! South Florida FTW!

Mr Lefty 11-13-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedylocksmith (Post 96678)
no windscreen on long distances would suck. On a side note............that weather sucks!! South Florida FTW!

Blah... bad weather ADDS to the experience of a road trip...

what fun would it be to have nothing but 70 and clear the whole way! come on... LIVE A LITTLE! gives ya stories to tell the little ones!

unknownroad 11-13-2008 04:33 PM

I got fookin' CREAMED on mileage on that trip... all those bags, windscreen, my fat ass, and right around 100lb of junk for a 2-week trip, running 80+ most of the time... I ended up getting around 35mpg, barely 120 miles before reserve. Put a major crimp in my average miles per day. Day-to-day commuting with just the windscreen, E21s, and fat ass, I get about 45.

I plan on replacing the screen... got that one used on the cheap, needed it on short notice and short money, but it's a poor fit.

As far as the weather... that sucked bigtime, it was somewhere in the mountains east of Tucson in the middle of February. My local weather (and roads) are a lot more like FL.

Mr Lefty 11-13-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknownroad (Post 96711)
I got fookin' CREAMED on mileage on that trip... all those bags, windscreen, my fat ass, and right around 100lb of junk for a 2-week trip, running 80+ most of the time... I ended up getting around 35mpg, barely 120 miles before reserve. Put a major crimp in my average miles per day. Day-to-day commuting with just the windscreen, E21s, and fat ass, I get about 45.

I plan on replacing the screen... got that one used on the cheap, needed it on short notice and short money, but it's a poor fit.

As far as the weather... that sucked bigtime, it was somewhere in the mountains east of Tucson in the middle of February. My local weather (and roads) are a lot more like FL.

I hear ya... my trip from ND to FL I was doing 80+ on the freeway and KILLED my average MPG...

i rode through Ike... got fuck'n SOAKED... but I was fuck'n laughing the whole time in my helmet... well... cept for when I passed other cars and was blinded for about 15 seconds... :panic:

unknownroad 11-13-2008 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While we're talking about touring SVs and crappy weather... side view!

("While you're in LA you should ride the Angeles Crest Highway", he says :lol)