View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maygin View Post
Someone explain me the difference between mesh, textile and leather.
This'll be a good thread for beginner gear if it keeps going. I'll ask all the dumb questions
Mesh is just that - you look at it and you can see through it if you hold it up to light. And there are varying qualities - some will be tighter knit (smaller holes), which will give better protection, but allow a bit less air in (Alpinestars mesh seems to be pretty tightly knit).

Textile is a tighter woven fabric - no visible holes in it. It doesn't breathe particularly well, so you want to look for one with lots of zippered vents (Cortech has some great ones... Chris and I each have a Cortech textile and LOVE them). It's VERY comfortable though, and lightweight (but doesn't allow air to pass through, other than the vents... suitable up to about 80 degrees).

Leather is just leather. But you want to look at the tag to see what KIND of leahter. MOST of it will be cowhide, but there are some companie (higher end, more expensive) that produce stuff from Kangaroo leather (particularly gloves), and then companies like Held supplement cow leather with sting ray hide on the impact areas of their gloves.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote