Thread: Computer Geeks
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #17
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
I personally wouldn't agree w/ that statement (the do not install xp64bit).

Yeah the big issue you're going to run into is the memory allocation (btw, what memory are you going for?) on 32bit OS's.... *shrugs* That's just the timie we're in right now...

Not a lot of apps are writen to A) take advantage of multi-core processors or B) 64 bit architecture....

So I would go w/ the advice earlier. Spend the $ to go w/ a higher end clock speed on a DualCore or whatever compared to a quad core solution......

Also, make sure your power supply is modular.

As for AMD/Intel, what was stated earlier, I agree w/... the new i7 920 smokes brother, and has done quite well w/ overclocking. now w/ that being said, here's my setup, I paid for it about three hours ago, should be here on Monday I think.....

Zalman ZM850-HP 850w Power Supply

Mushkin 3gb DDR3 1600 RAM (trichannel)

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB HD (32mb cache)

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer 7.1

Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler (btw, if you roll w/ the i7 920, this ispretty much the fan to get)

Case.... Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo RC830.

XFX GTX 260 Black Edition 896mb

BIOStar Tpowerx58 mobo.

and of course the i7 920 Nehalem processor.
I left out the I7 since that would drive his cost up without a minimal impact on game play. I7 shines in other areas but it's not a huge jump in gaming performance to justify the cost.
i7 920 Nehalem is nice and all, but good boards are still in 250 range (on top of the 280 asking price for the 920), and the when it comes to games the performance benefit isn't a huge leap over a Phenom II 940 or Q9550.

If he's just running at 16xxx X 12xxx then 260 isn't worth it.

I'd hold off of the I7 until boards come down in price or even until the mainstream Nehalems come out later this year(which will be a different socket and chipset)

He can probably get by with onboard. The new Realtec codec is pretty good.

Unless he wants to spend a ton $$$. If that's a case he needs to get a better monitor that pushes some resolution to put the high end stuff to use.

Hard drive....7200rpm WD with 32mb should do the trick. They're quiet aand cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote