View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I will do some measurements on the inductance of a set of cables and study the electric fields through them, but I doubt I will find much. The standard cable is much too short for any of these to be a real factor. Just a quick guess in my head, the max spikes I could see would be in the milliamp/millivolt range. We are talking a few feet here. If we were running a cable 50 feet, I would might take a closer look into impact of the cable.
Cool, And most jumper cables are like 12' or longer, and my "concern" is for current spikes in the few hundred amps+, like you might get connecting an auto battery to a 2 or 3v dead cycle battery.

In cmos, there's a reverse biased diode between in/out pins and pwr/gnd. When I worked on this problem for Harris Semi we'd see problems when injecting 20-100ma into these scr's depending on the specific design. So if you started getting voltage spikes of anywhere between about .4v's and 1 volt you might have a possible cause for what zed's seen.

Oh, and don't forget when getting connected, jumper cables almost always spark, which does funny things with voltage.

BTW, if you consider the last connection as points, the jumpers as the inductor, and the battery as a sort of capacitor, the circuit starts looking a lot like a points ignition system.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote