View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #40
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
It's carbed, with a fuel pump.

Jojo, the clicking noise sounds like it could be a relay, but it's hard to tell without hearing said clicking noise.

My fuel pump makes what I would call a "whining" noise when activated, YMMV.

Assuming the battery is okay, you need to verify that the pump is getting juice, so check the fuse if you haven't already done so, and check the connections for corrosion, etc... I believe the pump is external on those bikes, so sorting them out isn't too big of a pain. You'll likely have to remove the tank to get to it. The pump will have an in and an out. There may even be a diagram on the bottom of the fuel tank that says which is which.

Get some clear vinyl tubing, and attach it to both ports, then stick both of them into a gas can (with gas in it), and hit the switch, (I usually do this while smoking a cigarette, but since you're a novice, you may want to skip that step...) if gas comes in and goes out, you can rule out a pump problem.

JC
Got it, definitely not a whining noise.

Ill check those things out and then probably pull the tank off. I was figuring on having to do that anyway in order to check the fuel filter and to get to the plugs easier anyway.

I already have a gas can with gas so Ill just grab some vinyl tubing while Im out running errands to check the pump. And Ill skip the smoking step since Im only a mere mortal and dont smoke.

Thanks for the suggestions and if anything else comes to mind feel free to add it to the list. Ive never had to trouble shoot a bike a before so Im completely new to this.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote