Thread: They said no
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
If you lived in the basement, then I can see them perhaps allowing a small, non-barking dog (hard to find).

But if I were below you and had to listen to a dog running around on my ceiling and barking and chasing a ball, I'd be seriously annoyed.

It's prolly not the best place to own a dog. A cat or fish or other creature, but not a dog.

Kirsty
I totally get that. If I had wanted to be a dick I would've just gotten the dog. I really didn't know what they'd say and knew I needed to ask. I'm just kind of bummed.

To be fair though, I hear everything my neighbours below me do. That includes the rough Friday night sex (complete with a headboard on the side of the road on garbage day :O) from the one girl, and the kids and cats running around, not to mention the daily arguments, from the other couple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Whoa whoa hold up here.

You signed a lease right? I assume the clause actually reads "need to be approved" as you stated? That clause isn't in there to slight you. It's also for the protection of your neighbors rights, much like Kirsty outlined.

If you don't like it, I'd say the next option is to move if you feel that strongly about getting a pet.

I really like the "fuck it do what you want" mentality. Maybe when I looked to move in the landlord told me pets weren't allowed, thereby making the place more attractive to me because of allergies, noise levels, or what have you. Here somebody else comes and says screw it, I don't have to play by the same rules everyone else signed up for.

They kinda left a gray area they shouldn't have. Either allow pets of a certain size, or don't. When they say "need to be approved", that opens it up to alot of interpretation unfortunately, and that's not entirely fair to you, I will admit.

Regardless, you knew there was a chance you couldn't have one when you signed the lease and moved in, you really shouldn't be shocked or surprised when they said no.
I'm just bummed. I'm not going to do anything to piss them off. They are alright landlords and I really like where I live. This is a big decision for me and it doesn't just come down to whether I want a dog or not. It's a decision that affects the next 15 years of my life. I'm nowhere near ready to buy a house so it's not just whether I want to live in this apartment or not. Realistically I could be out on my ass tomorrow if the landlords chose (sell the house, etc. etc.) so I need to make the decision based on finding other apartments as well as keeping this one. I'm just not ready to move or anything so for now I won't be getting a dog (I won't consider any other pet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
I completely agree. It amazes me how many people can't see the property owners point of view on issues like this. It's about as bad as people thinking businesses are bad for trying to make money.
The landlords make a lot of money. There are things completely NOT up to code in this place and they are by no means hurting. I totally see their point of view.

I'm not exactly one of those people that's going to have a loud dog that wrecks the place. But I can completely appreciate that they don't want a dog, and even though I'm well within my rights as put forward by the Tenant's Act to get one, I am not going to push the issue.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote