View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #126
AquaPython
put it THIS way

shmike is wrong because i have decreed in it multi-line spacing argument.

I should clarify, though. When i say you are eating corn, by eating beef, it is a function of the food chain. have you ever heard the phrase "you are what you eat" ? this phrase is not so far from the truth.

Kaneman mentioned before that "old school" corn was better he was right. There used to be a WIDE variety of corn species up until around the 1930's. Most of this corn was an amazing produce. Very high in essential vitamins , minerals , nutrients, etc. This is why ancient native american cultures praised and even prayed to / about corn or "Maize" (sp?). However, as farming became industrial, and the country looked for ways to feed itself, and avoid starving epidemics like what happened in the great depression and the dust bowl, America started to turn to corn. The corn strain that was eventually singled out the favored seed, was a corn that was pretty much nutritionally garbage, unbeknown to farmers and the like. It's saving grace was that it was able to grow VERY close to itself. Meaning tightly packed corn stalks, meaning MORE food per Square Acre.
This Strain became the dominant strain of corn, and basically lead to the extinction of all of the other types of corn that used to be around.

So now fast forward to today, you have all of these cattle in pens eating nothing but bullshit corn. Compare a piece of Beef now from one of these cows to a piece of Beef from a natural, grass eating, range roaming cow. I don't remember off hand the exact numbers but paraphrasing, the "modern" beef has 70% less protein and 250% more fat.

now, factor in other things from these processed animals, such as the hormones and chemicals used to make the cows larger and "healthier". The chemicals such as phosphorous and nitrogen that they literally inject the earth with so that the corn grows larger, and closer together (4 times more corn can be grown on the same land now as compared to 50 years ago). The disgusting living conditions leading to massive amounts of pathogens in the food. Have you noticed the increasing amounts of meat recalls, and poisonings over the last decade?
The whole system is fucked.