View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
While I see what you are saying, the intent of the law is not to pull someone over just because they are brown.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the intent is. Even though the new law requires police to stop anyone who "appears" to be an illegal, I have yet to hear how they are supposed to determine that, simply by looking at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Will it get abused? I'm sure. But if its dark outside, someone has a headlight out, and they get pulled over, its not because they are brown, its because they have a headlight out. In the event they get pulled over and they cant establish legitimate residency or provide a valid drivers license or green card, are they supposed to get special treatment because they are brown, red or any other color? Illegal immigrants arent all brown you know...
Again, it goes to probable cause. I have no problem asking for proof of residence status, if you are stopped for an infraction.

Being pulled over solely based on your appearance, is a whole different thing, and that's exactly what this law allows.

JC