Thread: 2011 Trip
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
There are dozens of ways to get from Pikes Peak to the Grand Canyon. Here’s my suggestion, assuming you spent the night gambling in Cripple Creek after riding up Pikes Peak. Ride over to Victor and take Phantom Canyon Road (dirt road) toward Cañon City (US 50).

At US 50, ride over to Skyline Drive, just west of Cañon City, and take the one way road along the hogback. Back to US 50, take it through Gunnison to Montrose. Then south on 550 to Ridgeway. From here, you have a major decision, 110 (Million Dollar Highway) or 145. Since you won’t have time to do a complete circle, I suggest riding to Telluride (To Hell You Ride) for lunch, and then backtrack over to 110 and stop in Silverton and/or Durango for a snack.

Next, go on to Cortez and over to 160. Then cut off onto 163. It’s a little out of the way, but coming over Comb Ridge into Monument Valley has to be one of the West’s most “Western” experiences. From there, it’s 160 to 89 to 64 to the Grand Canyon. I used to stay in Flagstaff and get up early to see the sunrise at the Canyon the next morning.
Do you know the mileage and timing of the route? I can try to throw all of that into google maps tomorrow, but thought you might know. Also, depending on who is with us and what they're riding, dirt may not be viable.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote