Thread: 2011 Trip
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #50
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Do you know the mileage and timing of the route? I can try to throw all of that into google maps tomorrow, but thought you might know. Also, depending on who is with us and what they're riding, dirt may not be viable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
yeah, can you give us an option without dirt. I would like to have a backup if drewpy does come on the buell.
Timing? I'm a geologist. I stop to look at rock formations and there's a million of them exposed out west. You'll probably want to stop and take a picture of you and your bike on the Continental Divide (Monarch Pass on the route I suggested), and some other scenic places.

Dirt road? As far as I know, and I haven't been down there in years, the road up Pikes Peak is only paved part of the way to the top. Mount Evans, west of Denver, is the Fourteener that has the road that's paved to the top.

But the dirt road up Pikes Peak and the dirt road through Phantom Canyon are maintained and graded. They are probably in better shape than some paved streets in our bigger cities.

And speaking of high altitude, the road up Mount Evans closes after Labor Day. I wanted to take my 12-year-old dog with us to the top last week. My wife said the altitude may not be good for an old dog. We brought the dog and we stayed on top photographing mountain goats and big horn sheep. When we came down, I was the one who got altitude sickness. A splitting headache that no amount of water or aspirin can cure. It doesn't affect everyone, but be forewarned.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote