View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Parts finally arrived late last week. Only took a month...

Because the bike spent a few seconds running on its side, I decided to pull the tank and airbox to check for oil in the combustion chambers. I've heard horror stories of people starting their recently crashed bikes only to break and bend engine internals because of incompressible liquid atop their pistons. Pulled the plugs, cranked it a few times, and no oil shot out.

While I had it apart, I decided to install the K&N air filter I bought months ago, and looky what I found:

Same thing has happened with the other two bikes I've had at this property. I don't know how to keep the mice out of the airbox. I put traps under the bike. Just a hazard of living in the woods, I suppose.

Upon reassembly, the bike fired up easy enough, but it's producing more smoke than usual and the check-engine light is on. It idles fine and responds to throttle inputs per normal.

Even with the new tube, however, the throttle sticks just like it did the day I crashed. With the engine off, it's sticky, but it retracts on its own. With the engine running, it freezes open and must be retracted manually. New cables..?
I can't see the pic but when I lived in a fairly heavily wooded area and mice were a problem I placed mothballs around parked vehicles (punch some holes in some ziplock baggies to make them easy to move around and invest in bulk in nitrile gloves). Smells like ass but keeps the mice away.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote