View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #69
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I've taught in both the US and Canada. I definitely prefere to teach in Canada. No child left behind is a waste of money. I made 42k after 5 years teaching in Texas. I have two degrees. I spent half my summer at workshops taking training which was unpaid yet mandatory. I was at school by 7 am and rarely left before 430 or 5. I took home marking and planning with me every night. I spent half of sundays getting ready for monday and grading work. I was no part-time worker. I also worked in one of the highest paying districts around

Here I make almost double. Work more days. Just as much planning and marking time n similiar time requirements and 6 weeks off in summer. We also have a kick ass mandatory union that fights for us.

Teachers in the US don't make near what they deserve. Many states can't afford to provide teachers medical and dental benefits. I worked with a lot of people from different states that moved to Texas because they would have made much less than 30k a year and no benefits in their home state.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote