View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #57
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Must.........stop............laughing..........

But I can't.

JC
Funny...why? I used to race the same little bikes as you...on a racetrack.

Memba?

Furthermore, I not only know how to change the attitude of a small, very reactive racing motorcycle with the carefully modulated use of the front/rear brakes, I know how to remap those very brake controls when transitioning to a larger street bike, where the rear moves from the left hand, to the right foot.

Brakes are brakes. Once you know how to use them well, where they're controlled from is not really important.

I "remap" almost instantly when going from bicycle (where the brake levers are in fact reversed), to a minimoto (where they are opposite, but still both on the bars), to a street bike, where the rear brake moves to your right foot, to a manual shifted car, where everything moves around; the clutch goes from left hand, to left foot, shift goes from left foot to right hand, throttle goes from right hand to right foot, and all braking is controlled by one single center pedal (which is controlled MOSTLY by my left foot...unless I'm heel-and-toeing).

I used to always set up my cornering line in racing by using the back brake, and tucking the front in, then transitioning out again under power to once again bring the back out on exit. No different than throttle steer in a high HP car.

Of course, I didn't call it "backing it in" back in the day...I didn't even know there was a term for what I did. That came only after Speed Channel arrived on cable, and I started watching 500 GP, and listening to the commentators. It's just how I learned to ride and drive. I know how to manipulate tires to my advantage.

Tires can do one thing at a time very well; corner, brake, accelerate.

If you ask of them more than one thing at once, they lose their effectiveness doing the other, and their grip dynamics change.

Once you know how to use this to your advantage, you can make the tires lose their grip in a controlled manner to change the attitude of a bike, as you enter/exit a corner, using brake, and throttle.

Maybe you forgot I used to race.

Maybe I forgot to say "I used to" when talking about backing it in.

My days of riding anything at the limit are clearly over. As you well know, my right wrist is frozen, and the only thing I "back in" now is the fucking car, into the driveway...save the occasional mind-clearing blast up and down the street on the old dirt bike, using my right thumb and forefinger to (barely) control the throttle.

Suffice to say, I still know how it all works, however...and I'm hoping you're instead laughing about the last line, as most people don't have the experience to start manipulating tire grip at the limit.

Last edited by Avatard; 07-05-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote