Thread: Oh yeah...
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

They say that as you get older the legs are the first to go. But everyone I know whose my age (61) or older complain about their lower back. I have an 83-year-old trainer who has shown me how to do deadlifts correctly. Great exercise for the legs and back.

Today is my deadlift and squat day. I did 285 in the deadlift. The most I had ever done before was 265. I so much wanted to break 300. Coach loaded up the bar to 305. He said "I know you can do it." I looked at the bar and it looked like a ton. He said "Keep your back flat and focus." But I was too scared to do it. He said "That's okay, you set a new personal record." But he was so disappointed. So was I.

I try to lift heavy, but I also want to prevent any injuries. I start my sets with an empty bar and add 20 pounds for each set, so I do a lot of reps. Plus, coach makes me do them very strict. I do clean and presses on Fridays, but have been stuck at 155 for my max for several months. But last week I set a personal record on the dipping bars. One rep with 75 pounds of added weight on the belt. So if I lost 25 pounds of fat, I could add 100 pounds. I wish I would have started lifting weights when I was younger.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote