View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Can't argue with results.
I'd be interested in hearing how the bloodwork comparison comes out.

I did one of those low carb diets (Protein Power, I believe) and the early-on benefits were good. It was just expensive and difficult to stick with.
Of course, I have a somewhat better budget now and more motivation to improve my physical condition.
Fatty meats are usually the cheapest cuts so price-wise this has been working well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Carbs bad? That's true for high-index carbs like cheap white flour, potatoes etc......but not low-index carbs like brown rice, yams, legumes etc.

And the problem with bacon has less to do with saturated fat, and more to do with it being processed meat with tons of potentially cancer-causing nitrates. Unprocessed meat is the way to go. Not man-created processed "meat" like bologna, salami, peperoni, hot dogs, bacon, etc.
All carbs turn to sugar in your body and cause your body to release insulin to combat high blood sugar. Insulin forces that sugar into your fat cells and/or prevents your fat cells from releasing fat to use for energy. Before I changed diets all my carb sources were "clean" and the results were still shitty.

I use "un-cured" nitrate free bacon and have more on order from a semi-local, humane, clean pig farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I know one thing, my wife did a no carb diet similar to Atkins and it fucked with her chemistry/hormones. She was a raging bitch all the time. She is not allowed to get rid of all carbs now.
Atkins falls short because it doesn't incorporate enough fat into the plan, IMO. Most people are still trying to eat clean while on low-carbs. Low fat foods, lean meats, fish, fill up on veggies, etc. Your body doesn't use protein for fuel so if you're on low carbs and not eating big amounts of delicious fat then its not going to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Same here! My wife did the Atkins for a short time and I did it for about a week and decided it wasn't for me! I was literally starving as I was putting food in my mouth! Nothing satisfied me! I will say, it does work considering it's the same thing bodybuilders have been doing for years in prep for a contest but, I don't plan on ever doing that again!
There is absolutely no way you could eat one of my meals and still be hungry. My wife is making my breakfast right now. 4 pieces of bacon, 6 eggs cooked in that bacon grease, a fruit and vegetable smoothie with nut butter, avocado, spinach and blueberries, cottage cheese and whey protein.

Your lack of energy, like people's bad moods on Atkins, could have been caused by a fat deficiency. We have had it drilled into our heads for so long that fat is bad for you that its hard to get past that when doing something like this. You'd need more than one week to give it a fair shot I think.

-------I should also add that everyone's genetics are different and plans work in different ways for different folks. I'm likely responding so well to this because I grew up drinking 3 Dr. Peppers a day, bowls of cereal, tons of bread, pasta, candies, etc. etc....which has left me a bit insulin resistant.

-----------Also, I'm not advocating the diet just yet, I'm pretty much just regurgitating what I've been reading about it. I feel fucking great now, but who's to say I won't have a stroke or heart attack next week!
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote