View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I actually prefer running on snow, to trying to stay in track bare areas of the road. Most people don't seem to understand that traction is better on snow, packed or otherwise, than it is on slush that alternates with ice.

I'm remembering back to one of my trips down to Charlotte. I started out during one of the heaviest snows we'd had in years and I was driving a rear wheel drive Dodge Dakota, with my bike in the back, on all season radials. As I headed toward the border at Niagara Falls I passed dozens of cars, and a few transport trucks, in the ditch. The only times that my speed dropped below 50 MPH was when I was stuck behind someone who was white knuckling it in the fast lane and for the border crossings.

And I'm only an average driver, at best. There are just so many people who are way below the curve.
The problem with the ridge cut was people were driving all over it. It was mainly ice lightly covered in snow. The plow trucks dumped a bunch of sand down. Trucks were getting stuck going up it.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote