View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #77
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I have a very varied background. I've worked in factories,I've worked in offices,I have a couple of worthless degrees and alot of experience. One thing is certain,I have a grassroots understanding of "market segmentation" as I've been the guy on the floor of the factory changing the bags to go from Butternut bread to Meijer's store brand. I've produced "A","B" and "C" parts on a factory line. I've sold Jensen,Phase Linear and Infinity brand stereo equipment which are made by the same company. I've worked at the factory that made Rockford Fosgate,MB Quart and Lightning speakers. Man,I don't know if you're just messing with me or what but if you are insinuating that I'm stupid or don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have the same degree as you do... market segmentation is HD producing/selling a Sportster,a Fatboy and a Roadking. Three levels of bikes made by the same company to cover a wide variety of customers. Honda selling a VFR800,a ST1300 and a Goldwing is another example. Chevy, Olds, Cadillac. Cheeseburger,double cheeseburger,Big Mac. I understand the concept,I doubt that to be HD's goal. As someone said,HD customers will barely give a MV a second look. Oh and 50 million dollars of debt and a pack of creditors on your back can make you very agreeable to a "merger". Besides,I could have swore I read somewhere that they have been looking for a buyer for quite some time.It may be that MV approached HD.

Not messing with you at all. I don't know your background. I don't want to assume you are familiar with a concept. I definitely am not insinuating that you are stupid. Quite to the contrary. It's been a lively and well thought out discussion. I've enjoyed it!

We'll simply have to see what happens. It'll be interesting to see where MV is in a year, two years, and five years.

I believe it was $109M of debt. It could make one "concerned". If it was as bad as it might seem, it really doesn't matter what HD does MV was potentially headed for oblivion or at least Chinese ownership.

Ducati was in no shape to make a bid for MV. They were actually in the same discussions MV was. We could just as easily be discussing Ducati. What is HD thinking? They obviously have some sort of a plan.

Being a Buell fan, MV's purchase is synonymous to your Morman husband coming home with a younger, hotter wife. You wonder who's going to get the nicer gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
the HD fanatic!
Hardly. The sooner Buell can get out from under the dealership distribution of the chrome baby boomer barges the better.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote