Thread: Adv Tourer Demo
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #46
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

The BMW F800GS isn't all that shit hot. Yes, it's more offroadable than the R1200GS, but there is something not quite right about either the chassis or the steering geometry. The front end tends to wash out at medium speed. I know of at least three capable riders lowsided on that bike on easy corners. Offroad capability is nowhere as good as the KTM 990 Adventure even though the KTM is about 30-40lbs heavier. I took that mutha on some fire lanes and it squirmed a lot more than my KTM. I think that the 21" front doesn't couple well with the 17" rear wheel.

The KTM is definitely tall and it sucks gas like Frank Sinatra sucking down bourbon. The BMW 1200GS is a miser on gas.

I like the Tiger 1050 a lot, except for the suspension is on the soft side. I don't know how it will fare with a passenger.

If you can't flat-foot with both feet on the bike, the KTM would not be a good bike to take passenger on.

BTW, the BMW R1200GS Adventure is the one with the bigger tank. I think that the standard 1200GS still runs on a 5.5-gal tank.

I love my Beemer and all, but there is no way no how I would even entertain an adventure bike other than the KTM. That mutha runs like a raped ape.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote