Thread: Gun Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #1808
CasterTroy

For me (personal opinion) I prefer an AR base for just about every rifle need, thus my answers reflect my preference and reasoning.

I've owned bolt action .22, .223, .308, .30-06, 7mm mag (all scoped)

AR-15 (multiple, and several scoped)

AR-10 (scoped)

AK-47

SKS

.44mag, .22 and .357 lever

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Thoughts on:
  • bolt vs semi auto
Followup shots are much more difficult to maintain target with bolt action. But at the same time....Bolt less tempting to waste ammo.

Bolt is going to be basically designated as sniper/hunting only rifle, as it gets to be a pain reloading a 5 round mag for "plinking" around having fun.

Quote:
Thoughts on:
  • AR vs something else
AR recoil is similar to 22 in many ways (as opposed to taking the brunt of the recoil in a bolt). The buffer tube absorbs most felt recoil allowing for very fast target acquisition after initial shot. I can empty a 30 round mag in 30 seconds and have a 12" group at 100 yards with iron sights (may not be impressive as military but for a "hillbilly with ammo", that's pretty dang good)

AR has endless parts and accessory upgrades. You can build a base AR for $600 and upgrade $100 here and there over time to have a superior rifle

Quote:
  • caliber - price and availability the primary concern

The down side to an AR based rifle is that it IS only .223/5.56 and some states will not allow deer hunting with that small of a round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
People just don't regularly hunt with ARs unless they are fucking off with boars they don't want to eat or something.
EXACTLY

Ammo is plentiful and most establishments will have it in stock (zombie apoc consideration)

Most of the time I can score 1000 rounds of 5.56 for under $400. Sometimes $300 if I run up on a deal

New Magpul 30 round Magazines are running about $9 if you buy 10 at a time now.

Quote:
  • anything else I should consider
AR platform is addicting as HELL. Yeah it's a "do-all" rifle, but you build ONE and think "damn I'd love to have a short barrel" or "Man a bull barrel sniper setup would be the tits" and before you know it you have 5 in the safe all configured differently. Then you gotta get an additional safe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fab5.jpg (107.5 KB, 0 views)