Thread: Oh, Ladies?
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #25
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Here's my experience:

I'm tiny, and everyone that has met me so far can vouch for it. In fact I am probably tinier than I really believe I am. I am barely 5'2" but its not the height, I am also really slim. I am now 105 lbs but when I started riding, I was about 95lbs so I don't have a ton of strength.

Like Rae, I didn't want a 250 because it was ugly and I thought I would outgrow it. I didn't know anyone else that rode so no one was there to give me any advice. My first bike was a ninja 500. Power was never an issue on any of the bikes I have owned, but the ninja 500 was really really top heavy for me. The dealership lowered the rear but not the front so I could flat foot it. The first time I took it out, I dropped it down the block. I met someone that rode from work so he would have me ride around his neighborhood at night. I dropped the bike a couple more times but no biggie. Then I moved back to NY and with the slow stop and go traffic, potholes and dense traffic, it was really hard for me to learn since slow maneuvers was where I felt the weight of the bike.

I sold that and got an SV650S because it was lighter. But I wasn't any better of a rider so I was still scared. I could only tiptoe now so that didn't make me anymore confident. Mostly because I didn't have the balance down for stopping and other slow speed stuff.

I downgraded and got a 200 cc dual sport and later sold the SV. I could still only barely tip toe but it was light and I was upright I had much more leverage. I rode that around for a couple of years and did some light trail riding on it. I didn't ride alot because I moved to Vegas shortly after and I really couldn't do any highway riding since I would be forced to be on the right lanes doing a max of 65mph downhill so it was more of a weekend toy. But I rode enough locally, and backroads that I was comfortable and was ready for an upgrade. I also learned to maneuver the bike pretty easily standing next to it, but don't have the reach to really back it up sitting on it.

The dual sport solved my bike dropping issues too I have only dropped it wiping out in the dirt but in my head that doesn't count

I recently got another SV, standard this time and see a big difference in how my skills have progressed after riding around in the dual sport. I still can barely touch the ground, but I have learned to balance it which was my biggest challenge before. On all the other bikes, once I am going I am fine, its always been the the slow stuff and stopping. Its a little difficult for me to push it around when I am not on it due to the weight difference but I am sure I will be fine as I push it more often.

The 2 SV's and dual sport are not lowered but I have shaved the seat on the both SV's.

If I had to do things differently I would have started on the dual sport.

Like the others have said, its difficult being watched. I don't like or want the extra attention. I have had people notice I am a girl from behind and come swerving around next to me to take a closer look.

Also I am quite independent, half accomplished , educated and usually pick things up really quickly. But its been really hard picking up motorcycling skills. Its the only thing I have ever had trouble learning. Its been upsetting at times and hurtful to my pride and ego. But I guess something has to keep me humble

Sometimes it seems like to me, its been so easy for the other girls on this forum (or CF) to become really great riders. So its been inspiring in many ways but sometimes it makes me feel bad that motorcycling didn't come naturally to me. But I am a lot further along then I was when I first started out and since I have the SV now and can go further, I can ride a lot more miles to get in a lot more practice.

Last edited by Tsunami; 08-11-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote