View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

A post from another member... just goes to show the excellance of these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raywood
Yet our BDM motors (05 and newer) are Evo bottom ends with TC topends with the Hi-output oil pumps. So a combination of all the above.

Been using the K&P for a few years now as many of you know and put a lot of miles in it including many this year already and I'm one of those that has pictures supporting picking up the paper fibers of the K&N.

I'm not afraid to keep using my K&P (as long as you keep it clean) for the lifetime of my motor that just runs and runs.

Good post. :2thumbs:

I will note that since about my second cleaning of this filter I've never gotten the debrie you see here:

My email to K&N
Quote:
hello,
I have been doing some research on the proper oil filter for the proper motor. With a garage that has both EVO and Twin Cam motors in it. I see that both K&N and HD offer oil filters that are listed to serve both motors. This is troubling...

The EVO motor is a low pressure, high volume oiling system. The oil filter for this motor needs to be capable of high flow and be able to flow at low pressures. It should not have the anti-drain back.

The TC motor is a high pressure, low volume oiling system. This oil filter needs more filtering due to the 5 micron passages on the misters. This should have the anti-drain back.

That being said. I see and have always used the 170 oil filter on the evo motors. I have always believed that the 171 is the filter for the Twin Cam motors. I know this works. However both K&N (171) and HD (63731-99A
)have offer these filters that when cross referenced they can link back to the EVO oil filter part numbers.

The way I believe it would happen if you ran a TC oil filter on a EVO motor, that at idle the evo won't put out enough pressure to push thru the 5 micron rated paper media, therefor the pressure would increase enough to go thru the bypass valve. Not good.

So if you still approve the 171 for the EVO motor, does the 171 not carry a 5 micron rating? That would mean its not approved for TC motors. How can the 171 fit both motors?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I appreciate your time and consideration on this matter, as a loyal customer.

Good day,
-Chris
Response:

Quote:
Dear K&N Valued Customer,

Thanks for your interest in our products, The EVO engines use a reverse flow oil system. which means that the oil flows through the oil filter backwards thus not allowing us to use and anti drain back valve. That is why the kn-170 filter is used. If you used a kn-171 filter in that situation the oil would not be able to flow past the drain back valve causing an oiling problem. The Twin cam uses a conventional oil flow system which allows us to utilize the anti drain back feature. Our oil filters are capable of handling the high pressure high volume oil flows that performance oil pumps can put out. Our Uniform pleated synthetic base media has a less of a pressure drop across the media without sacrificing filtration. This means your engine is going to get all the oil it was intended to get from the oil pump. When you are dealing with EVO engines it is best to go on our website and look up the specific bike when applicable to see what filter we recommend. My understanding is not all EVO engines are reverse oil flow. If I can be of further assistance feel free to call or email.

Ryan Pelkey
Technical & Customer Support Representative
K&N Engineering
Ryanp@knfilters.com
Phone: (800) 858-3333
*When replying please include this entire e-mail*
Sure sounds like this guy is copy/paste some sales pitch... so I rebute
Quote:
Ryan,
Please give more info on the micron rating for the K&N filters for both motors.

Also, how is it that when the cross reference numbers are looked up for your 171 that it can be cross referenced to an HD filter for an EVO.

Can you provide some information on the K&N filter that makes it superior to other paper media filters such as a HD unit.

Further, I will share this info with my biker buds to help promote the use of the K&N filters.

Thanks again,
-Chris
Again a response out of a sales manual

Quote:
Dear K&N Customer,

Thank you again for your interest in K&N products. I do realize that in some cases the 171 Filter is listed for an EVO engine. We recommend that you look up the oil filters for EVO engines by year make and model of the bike instead of cross referencing the filter number. We have listed the filters for each bike application by the OEM filter number to ensure the right filter is being used because using the wrong filter could result in engine damage. The K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter has been constructed from the ground up to satisfy the high performance needs of Powersports racers, as well as the average bike owner who wants the very best oil filter available. Our synthetic-cellulose blend filter media stops particles as small as 10-20 microns at 90 Percent efficiency while still allowing high flow rates (between 12-16 gallons per minute, depending on filter size). This does not mean the filter does not filter out smaller particles. I do not have any data on the filters efficiency below 10-20 micron. Keep in mind the 5 micron filter is a recommended premium filter Not a Required filter. In applications where a steel-canister type filter is used, we use a heavy-duty steel casing, double-rolled seams to prevent leaks, internally lubricated o-rings to maintain a good seal (even after repeated removal/installation), and attach a 17mm nut for quick and easy removal. An attractive black or chrome finish is available on most canister style filters. Vehicles which use a cartridge-type filter (no metal canister around the element) also benefit from K&N's oil filter technology. The same features of a canister-type filter element have been incorporated into a cartridge-style filter. All K&N Performance Gold Oil Filters are manufactured to meet and exceed the requirements of automotive manufacturers, contain anti-drain back and pressure relief valves when required in OE applications, and are covered by a K&N limited warranty to be free from defects in materials and workmanship when installed and replaced using the engine and equipment manufacturers recommended service intervals.

If you have any further questions please call our Customer Support team at 1(800)858-3333 and a representative will be happy to assist you. Thank you for writing and have a great day.

Ryan Pelkey
Technical & Customer Support Representative
K&N Engineering
Ryanp@knfilters.com
Phone: (800) 858-3333
*When replying please include this entire e-mail*
I'm not impressed with K&N and their response. This guy seems to not have any techincal background or insight.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote