View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
An engine's valvetrain does effect low end torque through their size and timing, but their method of actuation is irrelevant. Pushrod engines are typically designed to produce low end torque only because a normal pushrod engine's valvetrain cannot hold up to high RPM. An overhead cam engine could easily be designed to make that same low end torque, but without the RPM restrictions there isn't any reason to do so. A Hayabusa engine generates almost as much torque as this engine and makes significantly more horsepower with less displacement. The new ZX-10R engine also generates almost as much torque and more horsepower with even less displacement than the Hayabusa. Motus is leaving power on the table by going the pushrod route.

That seems to be the trend. Whichever magazine had the all electric issue recently was littered with companies following that business plan.

1) Develop a gasoline powered motorcycle.
2) Try to take deposits on it.
3) Realize deposits aren't rolling in for a Desmosedici priced piece of vaporware no one has heard of.
4) Make a shitty electric version.
5) ???????????????
6) Profit!
bingo. like i said before it was likely done for cost reasons if not the retarded philosophy that pushrods are 'murican

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The engine will try to twist the bike over to the side when the crankshaft is accelerating. I've heard Guzzis aren't great about it, but at the same time I haven't heard many complaints about BMW's boxer engined bikes which should do the same thing.
dont forget drivetrain losses. did you see the way the tranny is laid out? theres gonna be a bigass diff in there somewhere chewing up the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaTree View Post
I'm their target market. If its what it claims to be, I'd consider it. The F800ST is a little anemic, the VFR has never done anything for me, and the other tourer choices are two wheeled cars. :/

If its a solid bike, WITH ABS, I'll definitely consider it.
(As in what idiots would even contemplate building a "sport tourer" without ABS currently?)
hey remember me?
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote