View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
This.

Fuck you guys and your "I'd rather ride it than wash it" bullshit. It isn't that hard.
I'm with Azoomm, I like to wash my bike. I find its very therapeutic and relaxing. I like to make sure to knock the stuck on bugs and road grime off at least once every week or maybe stretch it to two weeks during the spring when the rain starts leaving it all spotty. During the summer when its mostly dry I will go to once every two weeks or when the grime is just......blegh. I like to keep it clean like Marko said but I don't wax it every time I wash it.
My washing method is simple; little bit of Turtle Wax Zipwax car wash foamed up with HOT water from in the house add in some cold from the hose to cool it down. Got a nice microfiber wash mit and and always as with all vehicles never start to wash a dry bike. Soak her down real good and start from top to bottom front to back. Since I have the removable saddle bags, I pop them off and wash all sides once a month and that way I can check on the tire pressure and the condition of said tire better as well. Since there are so many damn crevices and nooks and crannies I pull out the yard blower and get as much off then wipe off the rest of the water with a synthetic shammy called the Absorber.
Then a quick application of the Bug Slide that Gas previously mentioned. Done. Go for a ride.
As for the end of the year before the bike gets put away for the winter nap. I do the same as above except no blower just wipe it dry. Then we (Gas and I) used the clay bar and then polish and wax. Quick oil change and cover up and tuck her in for a nice winter nap. (Plugged in with battery tender, of course.)

Is it over the top? Nah. Its personal preference. If you don't care to ride around on a dingy, dirty, looks like you just picked it up at an auction look then that's your thing. But I take a bit of personal pride in my ride and like to show it.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote