Thread: Who races?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #53
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
No such thing as a bad track, just bad set ups! Actually I liked Oak Hill/Henderson cause if you can go fast there, you can go fast anywhere! Plus it is sentimental cause it is where I got my first win!

Hallett is my fav CMRA track, but I still haven't been to the 2 new texas tracks...YET.
Your first win remark made me think of my first race. Except for a fuzzy day in the Fireball Roberts section of the Daytona grandstands in 1978, the first road race I ever saw was the first one I was in. I went out thinking “Don’t crash, don’t crash anyone else, and just have fun”. My mantra set, I lined up and went for it. I spent the next 10 laps trying to stay out of the way and have fun while terrified. I ran two races that day.
After it was over I went to watch the awards being handed out to see what that looked like. So I’m just standing around thinking hum, this is pretty cool. Then I heard my name called and I’m like WTF, there must be someone with the same name! After they called it out again I slid up there and was told I got 2nd place. I didn’t think so and told them so. I had no idea where I finished (I didn’t even know they posted it). I tried to convince them that it must be a mistake and that got a laugh from those that heard it. I was informed that the scorers in the tower know where I finished even if I didn’t and to take the damn trophy. I just about shit. I took a 3rd place the next day in one of the 2 races in was in. I had a 500 mile trip back home Sunday night from Savannah, GA and the trophy’s rode in the passenger seat all the way back. You couldn’t have pulled the grin off my face with a pair of vise grips. I was also hooked like a junkie. Crack wouldn’t have worked as well as those two trophy's.

Last edited by was92v; 12-05-2008 at 08:05 PM..
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote