Thread: I'm an idiot...
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I don't know if this'll make sense but...how far in did you get the bolt before you realized your mistake? The bolt threads in approx 1" and if you only misthreaded it "alittle" 1/4 or so. With some patience you can get things back on track and be ok. Can you reach the otherside of the thread and run the bolt in that way to clean the threads up? If not,you can use the bolt,a tap that size would be better about $4 at Lowes,and lube it,carefully line it up with the hole and carefully re-thread the damaged part. You'll have to "wiggle" it around until you have it lined up,patience is of the utmost here!The key is if you have it right,the bolt should start to turn easily after you get past the damage. Sometimes it helps to drill out the bad part of the threads but you have to be VERY careful. The positive side of this is you won't be any worse off if it doesn't work so it's worth a try.

If this doesn't work,or if you'd rather not try,then I'd also reccomend a heilicoil. You can get it in your present size and you'd only have to do minimal drilling into the engine mount/frame. Good luck!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote