View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
And that's one of the risks that you can and should expect with crowdfunding; that the product really isn't very good. Another is that the person who is doing the project under estimates the costs involved and can't complete production. I see those both as reasonable.

At this point I'm exclusively funding creative projects (web series, indie movies). Generally speaking I look at the rewards offered for a specific funding level and if I think that's reasonable value for the investment, I go ahead. To date I haven't funded anything at more than a US$50.00 level. I would actually have funded the Othermill at the $999.00 level, but unfortunately the Kickstarter had already closed by the time I heard about it.

I took a risk and funded a group (Wanderlust Cameras) who wants to manufacture a lightweight 4x5 film camera called a Travelwide. 630g, fully loaded with lens, film holder, view finder and range finder.. weighs less than a Canon 5D Mk II. Was supposed to deliver last month, but I know they ran into a few issues in the manufacturing process that has made it take a little longer.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote