View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #169
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Nice rig! The price isn't too bad either if you plan on scaling up production! I have no ide if this would work but, if it can, it might save you a lot of time! Could you load a rod with open rings and then turn the welder on its' side and hold the rod in front of it and use your pliers to grab the rings and push them against the electrodes one after the other down the rod and when done, load the second rings on the first and load the rod again and repeat with the new rings that are hanging of the first rings and so forth until you get a sheet of mail? Don't know if that made sense but, it did in my head.

Ooh, ooh! Have a rod with a groove lengthwise and insert a thin strip of metal so when you slide the first rings on, they will have the gap lined-up on the strip and then you scoot them down and off as you weld them! Clear as mud?
I tried something like that and, in practice, it didn't really make thins any faster. If you have a rod and give it a little bounce, all of the cuts in the rings pretty much go right to the top. Given how fast I've gotten and finding and aligning rings prior to welding, the time saving was almost zero.

I take a pile of rings, split it in half, then open up half and close half. The closed half gets welded shut. I then make chains that are the length of the sheet I want to make, which are two rings, joined by one, joined by two, joined by one... I then weld those closed. When I have the chains, I then weld them into sheets. It takes several passes this way, but it's the fastest way that I've found.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote