View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

So I've purchased my 2nd current motorcycle and 4th over all. *A 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar.

I have been enamored with this bike since I saw how many people have taken it around the world while watching Horizon Unlimited's Achievable Dream series. *I looked heavily at several other bikes, but I always was drawn back to the Dakar. *It came down to the KLR650 or the F650GS. *I'd almost given up on finding a Dakar version as they seemed to be held onto by their owners. *As luck would have it I was doing a bit of "post whoring" on RDS and noticed a fellow member post something about think'n of selling his. *It wasn't an outright offer to sell, so I waited. *When I didn't see anything in a week or so, I messaged him asking about it. *Tracy was a dream to work with! *I didn't have the full amount upfront but was willing to take payments until I paid it off in February 2012. *I planned it so that I could pick it up after my little sister's wedding in late Feb.

Fast forward to November, and I maneuvered some of my assets around to pay off debt, and decided I was going to pay Tracy in full. * Also made the decision to fly into New Mexico (where the bike was stored) *before the wedding, and ride North. *I did this for two reasons: 1st and for most, I needed to title the bike in Oregon and it'd be much easier to do in person rather than via mail. 2nd *I was in dire need for a long road trip. *I had an ischemic stroke in late Jan 2011 which meant I spent the majority of 2011 in rehab mode. *I rode some, but compared to the 23,000 miles I racked up in 10, *the 5,000 I managed in 09 was disappointing and not at all thirst quenching. *3rd and finally, it had been a goal of mine to ride down the Oregon coast. *The Oregon coast has always been one of my top 5 places in the world (that I've experienced first hand). *Something about it just really makes me feel HOME. *I've not been there in 10+ years and I miss it terribly.

So I paid Tracy off and started planning my trip. *After countless hrs of planning routes, looking for "POI's" or Points of Interest, checking past year's weather for the time of year, and plotting "Plan A, B, and C" routes into my GPS, *I was set in early January! *Then while reading a thread on ADVrider.com
about a rider just kinda going out and wandering the US, I felt a sudden panic that I was spoiling a great opportunity. *After all, I don't get many chances to take leave in chunks like this (30 days) and what's the point of assigning a strict schedule to something that's supposed to be rehabilitative? *Seems almost counter productive.

So I wiped out my Routes, but kept the POI's. *My plan now is to "find" my way from POI to POI. *the only deadlines are to be in Portland on the 24rd of Feb for my sister's wedding and be at work on the 14th of March. *I still will ride down the Oregon Coast, Still plan on seeing some of the same area's, but with out the pressure of doing X amount of miles, or being X location at X time. *It'll be my first ever venture over a day with this plan. *I'm beyond excited!

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 02-11-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote