View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default Bike starts, idles, but dies on throttle...help with carb issue please.

The main issue is that I don't know what the fuck I'm doing and I can't find a good manual or tutorial for this carb. Its quite a bit different from the XR50 carb I rebuilt...which is my only other foray into the carb world. The is a pumper carb on a 1998 DR350 Offroad.

Bought this bike last week and have run a full tank of fresh gas through it, with seafoam. Went offroading on Sunday for a couple of hours and it ran great, starts first kick, etc. On the way home I'm cruising down the road and the bike loses power. I pull over, it dies, but fires right back up when I kick it. It will idle, but when you give it gas it dies. The motor will rev up high on full choke, but can not be revved with the throttle. On throttle it immediately bogs and dies.

Well, the bike has been sitting for a while before I bought, and I knew that. I was excited though and didn't bother to clean it or change the filter or anything before I rode it. The airfilter was fucked and the carb was filthy.

I took the carb apart as much as I felt comfortable with, cleaned it, blew it out...thought it was be cool....but still having the same problem. I've taken it apart and cleaned it twice now. The throttle itself moves more smoothly now that the carb is clean, but it still bogs and dies.

The first thing I need to know is can the carb be broken apart more than I have done so far? Since I see no way to adjust the needle I would say yes?

Second question, is the needle supposed to just drop down in here with nothing securing it? It just fell out when I broke the carb down, and that seems odd...

Ok, then there's this lil' guy. It seems like it should move up and down freely on the spring that it sits on, but when I break the carb down I find it compressed and stuck...I have to tap it a few times to get it to release so I can take it out. I've cleaned it completely inside there so I can't figure why its getting stuck..

I know I should take it to a mechanic and have him work it over, but if I'm gonna do the dirt thing I gotta learn to do this myself...and I don't know anyone to guide me through it. Thanks in advance for the help.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 04-04-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote