View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

They also jumped on the bad financing band wagon like every company did in the last 5 years. They lost their asses on bad loans. Further, we all know luxuries like bikes are painfully the first to go when times are tuff. Let alone new bikes.

Further they mistakingly so, stuck to their middle aged white biker. More recently they have aimed their advertising dollars at the younger generations, especially with new sportsters that are cheaper than even many sportbikes (sub $7k). Knowing its a foot step in.

I don't believe their quality will suffer anytime soon. I have seen a huge step forward on many of their bikes, parts, and aftermarket in the last few years. Hell even advanced technologies like led lighting, and led head/fog lights.

But in order for them to stay competitive they have to succeed abroad. And in the last year they have taken steps with that in india and brazil.

However, they have also made poor decisions as well. This year they made a big to do about the release of a new entry level bike. Did they make a completely new cool bike design? No. Did they make a touring bike off the vrod platform (done very well via non-hd aftermarket)? Nope! Instead a (while very nice) stripped down softail. Mega fail in many eyes.

They are the american cult bike and I don't think they'll ever go out of biz. They just need to keep adjusting and get in the front of technology.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote