View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Many of the things above are stated and from me being a HD insider (one who owns), is still off base and obviously stated from somebody that doesn't own one. I don't mean that as an insult.

As far as the jap cruisers... I tell ya, even when compared to a Victory. They all come up short on many things. Honestly. Overall quality feel, cheaper componants, lack of factory aftermarket support, lack of options, less than great paint (I honestly don't know any MC company that does better paint than HD, hell not even cars), lack of dealership support/network... and I can list exact examples if needed. Remember I work on all of them, and have rode most. The overall feel isn't there on many other brands. You can honestly tell that my HD was designed/built by people who ride. I'm just saying there is more to it than just the sticker price.

Per Willie G, the head designer and family of HD. There will be nothing done with the vrod platform other than how it stands now. No touring, no crossing the motor over to other frames, nothing. I read that somewhere... don't remember where.

And honestly, Tommy, they haven't been pushing the 25k bikes. They been pushing sportsters and softtails... $7k-$17k.

You will never see HD stray far from it's current setup. They don't have to. Many, myself included, like the constant, the stability, and the heritage of it's designs.

Further, I honestly think that HD is similar to BMW in many ways. Trip and I discussed this before. Their markets are obviously different, but their price points are similar as well as their brand loyality. They both have a great factory aftermarket, and when you purchase one of their aftermarket pieces you know you bought quality. Both have a solid feel of quality and re-assurance that the bike was designed well. But both are priced slightly higher than their competition, and for good reason IMO.

Really, what point did the article make? Sales are down and keep on decreasing? Of course, the economy is as well. I bet HD downturn matches the economies downturn.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote