View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
PPS... IMHO there is NO SHAME in crashing....only in not learning from it, or blaming the rest of the world.............

Rubber side down, please.....

That's the part that freaks me out about my big accident. The other couple times I went down, I know where *I* fucked up (because there was no other cause for going down other than stupid rider error), and I'd like to think I learned from those (don't take corners hot when it's cold out/tires are cold/asphalt is cold.. easy braking in the rain ).

But the one that sent me to the hospital for 5 days, there was no obvious cause that anyone in the group I was riding with could tell me.. only that I ran off the road and lost control from there. Why I ran off the road? No one saw and the resulting concussion did a number on my memory. So I don't know... and it's always haunted me - where did I go wrong? There was no gravel.. no oncoming vehicles.. Did I look behind me to check on the guy behind me and swerve? Was there a critter? So I've kept on riding.. getting back on the bike was easy, there wasn't really much of a mental block there - hard to be afraid when you can't remember what caused you to crash. But I have slowed down a lot just in general - I don't go too far out of my comfort zone unless I'm on the track, and even then I'm still pretty slow.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote