Thread: GPS versus Maps
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
sfarson
On a Ride

Moto: Two Wheels

John,

Used topos for years when hiking/climbing Colorado. Added a handheld GPS to the backpack later on. When parking the car at the trailhead I'd have the GPS store the car's location. Sometimes I'd plot in the lat/long of the summit. In either case I'd have the GPS keep me updated on time-to-destination, direction (especially if I was off the trail), etc.

For two wheeled riding I prefer maps, online and paper, but a GPS supplements both well. Several examples:

- On the group ride to the WSBK's in Utah our seven rider pack descended the north side of the Grand Mesa. Had never been on this sweet road. I was leading and from the GPS scrolling map could tell the layout and tightness of the upcoming curve before I entered it.

- We had hotel reservations along the way, and about an hour from our destination I'd ask the GPS to take us to the "Best Western North Salt Lake".

- If the gang was up for a BBQ dinner, could have the GPS tells us which BBQ restaurants were in the vicinity, with address and phone #'s, and have it take us there.

See maps and GPS as complementary, and not either/or.

Last edited by sfarson; 08-16-2008 at 11:01 AM..
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote