View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It was a fad, it will come back again, but it isn't a realistic business in a hard economy. A motorcycle that isn't comfortable to ride and all you can do is look at when you go to the bar is a bad decision in tight times.
Correct on your first part.

Second part...Oh you've rode one? Hmm... they aren't that uncomfortable. Nothing like they look like. HONEST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I live in Wichita....they jumped the shark a LONG time ago.

Everyone I know who has one HATES it.....their transmissions are SHIT. I know one guy who had his bike in for transmission work three times in one riding season. We were on a poker run....wwwwwaaaaayyyyyy out in BFE...and the transmission was locked in 2nd gear. To say he was PISSED would be a monumental understatement.

He FILLED the "downtown" area of that little town with profanity....mad, mad MAD.
Well the problem they had with transmissions is they told Baker how to make their proprietary trans for them. They did the same thing to S&S on the motors and at one point actually mounted TP rocker boxes on the S&S motors because "bdm knew better".

The transmissions built to BDM spec had major problems with input shafts breaking.

The motors with TP rockers boxes were eating valve guides due to bad geometry from the mix/match parts.

Then they had problems with their electronics. A bolt shaker bike shouldn't have a computer on it. PERIOD.

Beyond that you could replace key parts and get a good bike. They are leaps better than any of the American Iron Horse bikes I've seen and worked on. They also went belly up.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote