View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #21
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
As for pit bulls, I know they're a great breed that can be excellent pets/companions - but I also know a guy personally who had his face ripped open to the tune of 70+ stitches by his pit, a docile long-time family pet without any prior aggression problems.
I know it's not at all common (with a properly trained/treated animal), and I think pits are a very unfairly singled-out breed - but there's not much denying that in rare instances pits & other 'dangerous' breeds are quite capable of lashing out without warning or undue provocation. Not saying it makes any of the breeds 'bad', or justifies 'banning' (except for fookin chihuahuas!) - but it does happen occasionally.

Cute pics though!
I hear lots of third hand stories like this, and I mean lots...but I have yet to talk to someone who's "family" pet turned on them. I wonder why that is? That being said, based on my experience with dogs these people are doing something terribly wrong to have their dogs bite them. Anyway, until I actually see it first hand or have an in depth conversation with someone its happened to I'm going to deny that "pits and other 'dangerous' breeds are quite capable of lashing out without warning or undue provocation"

Scientific temperament testing shows Pit Bulls to be among the most stable of all dog breeds, even surpassing Great Danes. I've been working with a lot of "dangerous" aggressive dogs lately and have found in every single case (that I've personally worked on) the behavior was a direct response to human influence. That could be from sustained abuse or owners who are neglectful (don't exercise their dog, maintain pack order, etc.) None of the dogs I've worked with, yet, have been Pit Bulls though.

I think the truth of the matter is likely that a lot of people want big working or hunting type dogs without being willing to do the work required to ensure a lifetime of stability.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote