View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
Yes gas will go up... I'm thinking around 800 for gas for me for all 10k miles... that's an average of like $4 per gal for the whole trip... I'll be under for sure.
I did a quick very conservative estimate on the new distances we discussed last night, and at $4 per gallon I would spend $650 for thw whole trip. And thats low balling the mpg the KLR gets. My few long trips on this bike have been at highway speeds 75+ and I've managed to do better than 50mpg with those huge saddle bags, since most of our riding will probably be closer to 50mph I should get 55 or better fully loaded.

Quote:
and that's exactly what we're looking for... NOTHING! the escape... well... at least that's what I'M looking for

I'm looking for something, just not sure what it is yet. There are a few things I want to see specifically, the Manic Dam system, Mt Washington, Goose Bay, Niagara falls, that recreation of the ancient fishermen, icebergs, whales, moose, caribou. Plus I really get a kick out of talking to locals, I've heard that up there outside of the cities they are really cool and feel a need to sop and talk to all travelers.

Quote:
I can go about 200-220 miles per tank depending on speed. He can go further... I'll have a 3 gal tank on the back... that'll bring me to 350-370 miles...

My range is 200 at worst to 255 best, those are actually the only two times I have paid attention to my gas mileage when i filled it up, and thats without having to switch to reserve.

Quote:
Yeah we're not planning long days... so should be able to make it to camp and set up well before dark.
He's not planning any long days, Other than a few small side trips, NYC, a town in CT, I want to get the fuck out of dodge and hightail it out of the northeast as fast as possible and into Canadar. (HINT HINT) I've been up and down the east coast by bike and really there sin't much i want to see, I'm way more interested in getting away from civilization, red lights super highways, rude people, and all the fun stuff. I would prefer to make it as far north as possible hitting all the new england states with a side trip into NYC, in two days, and sleep in Canada the second night. i figure vermont or Maine is the first night, and canada the second. We can get almost to sydney in 2 days, spend day 3 on the cabott trail, then the ferry to newfoundland on day 4 with some more riding that day.

We also have a route figured out that hits every state in the northeast with the only out of the way side venture being VT. MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME all in one day is very doable, the quickest route is 700 miles for all that, it would be a long day (HINT HINT)but it gets the most congested part of the whole ride out of the way in one day.

What we talked about is that most days should be around 300-350 miles.

And i own a mosqito net/shirt its like the one pictured, but with a torso and sleeves.

Last edited by derf; 09-20-2010 at 03:02 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote