View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #62
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost View Post
Pretty cool! Is the blade a diamond blade on a router? If so, is the router variable speed and what speed are you running?
I had originally thought about using a variable speed router but after checking the proper cutting speeds needed, I chucked that idea. Instead I'm using a keyless chuck hand drill in a homemade clamp, with a 0.008" thick, 1.75" diameter steel jeweler's saw blade.

When cutting aluminum wire I'm running somewhere around 400 rpm but I don't have a laser gauge, so that's only an estimate. I control the speed by plugging the drill into a router speed control box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
That is flipping awesome PC!! I totally want some chain mail now...
I didn't realize that you were back! Good to see you

Something like 16 gauge, 1/4" links of aluminum makes for a great costume grade suit of chainmail. It weighs roughly a third of what actual steel would. That full chainmail weighs about 20 pounds. The halter I made weighs in at less that 8 pounds (maybe around 6) and both the women who tried it on, my model for the pictures and a friend who is big on cosplay, said that they barely noticed it while wearing it.

Doing this has also resulted in a skill that has made me pretty popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchopper87 View Post
Looks like you're having fun with that. Good job!
Thanks, I'm definitely enjoying this. Everything from the tool building to the final product. While typing this I actually have another project sitting on my table a few feet away; a scalemail short that will make for a better Hallowe'en costume, because it's much lighter.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 11-25-2015 at 08:20 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote