View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #107
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Have you met many animal control officers?

Your stats fail to paint the whole picture. You are less likely to be attacked by a pit bull than many, MANY other breeds and mixes of dogs. Pit bulls and breeds like them are just more likely to seriously mess you up when they do attack, because they are much more powerful, relentless animals than labs, retrievers, etc.

I've been on the receiving end of attacks from all sorts of canines (almost all of which were my fault, I'll add), and it's much easier to ward off a big lab than it is an extemely determined bully breed. When a poorly socialized pit bull (or a pit bull minus its owner) decides to attack, there isn't much short of knocking it unconscious that will make it stop. That said, most bully breeds I've encountered weren't aggressive in the first place.
Man this is like a gun control argument... it's never going to be the dog is it? 67% out of the what, hundreds of breeds, not to mention the mixes that DON'T get called out as pits...if you're ready to say they can be wrong one way, you have to be aware that they can call the breed wrong and NOT name it a pit after an incident.

What's killing me, one side says it's the owner's fault when dogs are bad. Hokie is saying that her parent's dog attacks other dogs but it's not the dog's or her parent's fault. You are almost saying that it's the person who gets attacked fault, and to top it off you think that animal control officers are idiots and more that 50% incorrect in their breed identifications.

I guess I'm confused, when a dog bites is it;

a. the owner's fault
b. the dog's fault/temperament/breed
c. the victim's fault
d. Cesar Milan's for making a bunch of suckers believe that they can own potentially dangerous animals without incident if they hold their collars a certain way.

Come on, I'm sure that we can all understand that it's a combination of a, b, and c (maybe a little of d as well ) You can't just rule out the possibility that if Hokie's parents had owned a different dog (possibly even a pit) that the situation might be different and incident-less. That if the trailer trash had owned a poodle that the baby would still have it's toes. I honestly believe that dogs have individual personalities just like people and like people different types have different strengths and characteristics, in general. Stereotypes suck BUT they rarely just get started without any reason whatsoever.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote