View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
snobuny
Kneedragger

Moto: 01 kawa 600R, 03 636 track, yz250motard

skip detroit....the riding sucks! Other than that it look like the trip of a lifetime! Wish I could make that one happen!

Detroit is too much traffic, construction and the roads are straight and full of potholes thanks to our crazy weather. The ride up 75 to the "soo" is straight and boring......300 miles of 4 lane nothing except state police. You would be better off staying in ontario and going up the east coast of Lake Huron but I'm from here so I see it all the time.

HWY 129 across ontario from Sault Saint Marie is twisty but some of the pavement is in poor condition (rode it this summer). The locals use ranger lake road which is dirt but much straighter. Not sure what you prefer on the dual sports.

Your ok with dirt right? Many roads in northern ontario/quebec are not paved, have little traffic and you may need to arrange for fuel, especially toward Hudson bay. We snowmobile up there and there is nothing....I repeat nothing in some of these areas....100's of miles of nothing. But the wildlife and scenery is amazing.

I would check fuel stops with you range prior to making that trip to be safe. Also there is very little cell phone coverage up there! Definately no 3g service and no roadside either We always make sure someone knows our nightly destination and call from the campsite/motel at the end of the day.

I also would not plan on riding at night...moose and caribo are very big to a motorcycle. The good news is that being that far north you have daylight in the summer to 10-11 pm.

Oh, they also get snow in July sometimes. Dress warm. Not winter snowstorm snow but flurries are not that uncommon.

Sorry for the book, Hope this helps and make sure you take tons of pictures.
snobuny is offline   Reply With Quote