View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

So I thought I would share what I've been spending around 1 day a week average working on since the summer: Building my own garage/workshop. I'll be adding to this thread as I make more progress.

My folks' office building has some parts of the basement that are separate due to the building having had a couple additions over its lifetime. One portion is about 15x18, and consists of a dirt floor, and very old plaster covering the walls and ceiling (the type of plaster with a mesh screen nailed up and the plaster attached to the screen). It's been full of a bunch of useless crap we have to shove in there about 7-8 years ago in a hurry (long story) and haven't done anything with since. Also, through a small wall there is another small portion separated from the main basement that is about 5x15 which also has a dirt floor and had crap in it as well.

Upon starting the project I decided it would be well worth it to break down the wall and connect the two sections into one workshop... the smaller room will end up with lots of shelving mounted to the walls. Due to the age of it all, I decided to frame new walls inside the room in most places, in order to be able to insulate easily, hang drywall, and mount light fixtures, outlets, etc. There are some walls in the smaller room up which I will just mount insulation and sheetrock directly, though.

Just getting all the stuff out and making all the dump runs, as well as ripping out all of the old plaster and insulation took me the first few months (only one day a week, roughly).

So, here is what I started with:

Main room full of crap:

Here is part of the smaller room:

After I knocked down the wall between the two and cleared out the main room, here is a view looking from the main room into the smaller room:

So, essentially, here is a schematic of the space I will be working with:

Here is the whole place stripped out,dirt floor, ready for concrete:

In this one you can see the main garage door as well as the smaller door in the small room.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote