View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

The concrete needed not only to be laid inside the building in the two rooms, but there are severe drainage issues right outside the building, so there is now also a concrete 'apron' that runs around the whole back of the building and up the side a little bit. This makes sure all the rain goes away from the building. I don't have pics of the outside right now, I'll add some later. Also, all of the walls that border the outside world, I sprayed using a paint sprayer with a heavy duty sealing primer called 'Kilz'... seals in moisture, etc. Also, I caulked any cracks or holes both on the inside and outside.
Here's some shots with the floor in, walls sealed,(I've also insulated the walls in the small room that I won't be building another wall inside of) ready to start getting some real work done:

I framed walls on most of the remaining walls. There are a couple where I will use the existing frame. To attach the bottom 2x4 to the floors, I used one of those powder-actuated nailers that use little bullets and you hit them with a hammer. I've used them before, they work great, made by Remington. After that it's just standard pain in the ass wall framing.

Then, I ran all of my wires. Due to anticipated high amperage, I used 4 gauge wire (for this particular wire I used aluminum because copper is so damn expensive right now) and ran a line from the takeoff lugs on the building's main panel back to my garage, and mounted a subpanel. I also used an existing wire to connect a fan-forced heater and mounted it in the framing... nice and toasty in there now. I ran all the wires for three big fluorescent light fixtures with a 3 way switch in two places, 4 small spotlights (for above where I plan to build a workbench and where I plan to have my big roller tool chests) controlled by a switch near where the workbench will be, 9 normal outlets, and 1 line for a 220V wire for when I get a compressor, hopefully not too far in the future. This is all managed by a 15 amp breaker for all the lights, three 20 amp breakers for all the outlets, and a 40 amp breaker for the 220V line.

Here is some pictures with most of the walls done being framed and most of the wiring done.

Today I got some bulbs and turned on the breaker for the fluorescent lights so I can stop working with those damn spot/work lights. I finished a couple other little wiring things and insulated the two walls that are up that border the outside. Here's some pics with the lights on.

I plan to run a couple speaker wire outlets and the accompanying wires on the back wall because I plan to bring in my stereo and speakers on shelves there. After a couple more little wiring and insulation things, it will be time to start the drywall for all the walls and the ceiling. Really starting to come together.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote